SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crimping versus Soldering
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandcruiser View Post
one note of importance: lower-priced (maybe higher priced as well) ratcheting crimpers are almost always designed for insulated crimps/terminals. They won't get tight enough on a bare terminal/crimp

and if you plan to use your own heat shrink (or adhesive lined shrink) then you probably want bare terminals

I discovered this after doing a really good job on re-wiring an area behind the dash of my truck. Many (many!) of the crimps failed, and with some investigation it is clear that it is because the crimper assumes a thin layer of plastic (the insulation) on insulated crimps. Without that extra layer, they don't get tight enough.

So while a ratcheting tool is the "better" option, it is not foolproof nor perfect. Just my 2 cents.
They are also meant to be used with high quality crimp terminals like those made by AMP, FTZ or Ancor to name a few. The stuff you buy at Wal*Mart, or many auto-parts stores, does not always have a thick enough copper wall and no strain relief sleeve thus it won't crimp down tight enough because the material on cheap crimp connectors is thinner..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 03-04-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook