SailNet Community - View Single Post - Conversion to Internal Halyards
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2010

CaribbeanSail is on a distinguished road
Whie I do not own a PSC, I have converted my own boat to internal halyards. Its not a big deal, most likely the sheeve box at the top of the mast can support either internal or external. It gets more complicated if you want to lead all those lines aft at the same time. The PSC 34 is deck stepped I think? In which case if you want to lead lines aft you may or may not need to have a deck plate frabricated to mount blocks as fairleads aft, and if you want to make it really clean you will need to cut notches in the base of the mast and mount blocks designed as exit blocks for a mast base. If you want to leave things at the mast it is easier, you just need to cut slots in the mast and buy exit plates. Depending on sheeve box design, you are likely going to double the number of lines you can handle. On the aft side other then your main halyard you can now lead your topping lift internal (anyone who has sailed offshore in a nasty sea knows how unfun it is to mess with topping lift and reefing lines on a boom winch). On the forward side you would now have an extra jib halyard, which will come in handy for many things (a spare, pulling the dinghy on deck, etc..).

Its well worth doing and really not a major project if you are taking the rig down anyway. At the same time you should install a conduit for wiring to keep lines from chafing them. I did this with PVC pipe and pop rivets.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook