SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mac 26M, best sailboat?
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Friends of mine have been boatshopping for several months, waffling between powerboats and sailboats and of course the 26M/X is on their list. After giving them my best old-salt-true-sailor sneer, they laid out their reasoning, causing me to modify my opinion of the Mac 26.

For what it is, it is absolutely EXCELLENT.

The problem is, most people don't know what it is.
It is NOT a sailboat- too tender, rigged too light, too big an engine,too many compromises and a weird hull shape.
It is NOT a powerboat- it's got a mast, boom, too many compromises and a weird hull shape.

What it is is a "happy family boat." Sorta an iphone of a boat. Here's what I mean:

The kids want to get slaphappy silly getting the bejesus bounced out of them while hanging onto a tube for dear life and inhaling half the lake? No problem this boat has an app for that.

Want to enjoy a nice light wind sail and teach the kids about sailing, until they get bored and want to go tubing? No problem. This boat has an app for that.

Wind pick up, storm clouds threatening, everybody is getting a little nervous and you want to get back to the dock quick? No problem. This boat has an app for that.

Want to take the whole family on a sailing vacation for a couple of weeks in the Keys, but you live in Cincinnati? No problem. This boat has an app for that.

Are you a novice boater, unsure whether you will like sailing, unsure whether you will like powerboating, don't want to guess wrong and buy a sailboat when you would rather have a powerboat? No problem. This boat has an app for that.

How many of us have found our kids, once they reach a certain age no longer want to sail, instead they would rather hang out with their powerboat owning friends, because "sailing is slow and boring?" How many of us have spouses who won't sail because they get antsy when they see storm clouds on the horizon? How many of us wish we could cruise our boat in new cruising grounds but can't because we only have two weeks of vacation available?
It's not for me, but it may be the right boat for my friends, and at the end of the day, if you're on the water with a grin on your grille surrounded by a family grinning just as big, then it's the right boat for you.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook