SailNet Community - View Single Post - Windless cable size, cable manufacture and battery type?
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Josh is an idiot. Umm...what part of the wire is severely undersized did you not understand??

For a high-load device like this, you want a maximum of 3% voltage drop, preferably less.... You really want to oversize the wire a bit to allow for the eventual increase in resistance that happens with most wiring as it ages. Maine Sail, Mitiempo and I all are recommending that you go with 4/0 wire for a reason.

The greater the voltage drop, the higher the amperage the motor will draw, and the more likely the motor is to burn out. Using 2 AWG wire for that run will lead to a 5.7% voltage drop under ideal conditions. Once the wire and terminals start getting older, you'll see a bigger drop than that.

From the Lewmar Horizon 400 manual:

Quote:
Check the voltage across the motor leads with the windlass on. (Proper voltage is 13.5 volts. Constant low voltage will destroy the motor).
Is the voltage low? (Below 11.0 volts on a 12 volt system).
By using 2 AWG wire, you’re pretty much guaranteeing that this will be a recurring issue for your windlass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoChip View Post
OK I called (finally found the support #) Lewmar and talked to Josh who said I should use 2 AWG wire for the 25’ run. That seems about right I am guessing.
H3 12v windlass

Thanks,
Chip

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook