SailNet Community - View Single Post - America's Cup Multihull Battle Set For February 2010
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Paulo - I'm totally with you on the Vendee. The Vendee and the VOR are, in my opinion, the future of the sport (not the AC). They are worlds more exciting than any kind of match racing could ever be. And I think they have the kind of excitement and appeal that the world craves.

If these 2 races are marketed correctly - they stand to grow tremendously.

A cumulative global television audience of 2 billion can't be wrong.

.................................................. .....................................

You know, you may be onto something here. If the AC was staged in more open ocean where rougher seas were part of the element - you'd have something that would generate far more interest than what most perceive as quaint "sailboat races around bags in the bay".

They've GOT to give it some edge like the VOR and Vendee. This would also ensure seaworthiness and toughness was part of the boat design...as it well should be. Yet, unlike the VOR, it wouldn't take 9 months to see who the winner is.

well, it is not the AC, but both boats (Alinghy and BMW/Oracle) can compete on the RACE against the best and fastest boats. The RACE has very few rules:

You can go with any boat (unlimited).

You can go with any crew (unlimited).

You can not have any outside assistance (no food, no water, no fuel, nothing) .

You can not go out of the boat (no scales).

The first to arrive at the same point (after having circunavigated) is the winner.

Really simple. I Bet that you will like this one

Of course, they can compete on this one but they will not stand much time, without being reduced to small pieces

Sail-World.com : Bruno Peyron decides to relaunch The Race

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook