SailNet Community - View Single Post - America's Cup Multihull Battle Set For February 2010
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just wondering where you two get your ideas?

How is a racing multihull inherently less safe than a racing monohull. A properly built multihull is a pretty solid boat. When most of the racing multihulls have issues, it is usually with them capsizing...but at least the crew usually has something to wait for rescue on.

Lots of racing monohulls have had issues in the past few years... lost keels, broken masts, etc... When a racing monohull loses its keel, what happens... the boat turtles and usually sinks, and people die. I can think of a few racing monohulls that have caused fatalities in the recent past—Moquini; Cynthia Woods; Excalibur; Coyote; etc...

I'd point out that a majority, over two-thirds by my count, of the records at the WSSRC are held by multihulls—not monohulls. Many of these are sailing distances and through conditions that are as difficult or more so than most racing, and they're pushing the envelope just as much any racing boat to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Bottom line: The VOR is king. And multis break too easily.

Even so, I'd watch The Race...for the carnage if nothing else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
It is not a multihull race it is an unlimited race. All boats can enter. If the multihulls break so easily, than certainly a monohull will win....
Racing multihulls are inherently less safe than racing monohulls, but have made a long way in what regards seaworthiness and safety.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook