SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wood, Diesel or propane bulkhead heating stove?
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I will say that based on hanging with other liveaboards, forced air diesel heat would be my choice again, followed by diesel hydronic, then electric (which means being plugged in somewhere and subject to utility failures, followed by propane (wet) or wood (messy). YMMV.
Just to avoid any misperceptions, I wanted to clarify that while moisture is a by-product of propane combustion, the Dickinson Newport propane heaters have eliminated this as an issue.

These use a sealed combustion chamber with double-walled chimneys to expel all moisture from the cabin space. Air for combustion is drawn from outside the cabin, down the outer flue of the chimney, into the sealed combustion chamber, and then the by-products of combustion are expelled above decks via convection and the inner flue.

The net effect is dry, radiant heat, and the double walled chimney is essentially "self-cooled", so there is not a scorching hot chimney in the cabin space rising up to the overhead. It's a pretty neat set-up. But like I said, probably not the best answer for long-term live-aboard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook