SailNet Community - View Single Post - Houston Texas
Thread: Houston Texas
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2010

sidmon is on a distinguished road
Welcome to Houston...The land of the Road Warriors. Its a vast, sprawling place, and its normal to make across town drives of 40 miles or more for the most mundane reasons. Some folks commute daily 50 miles or more one way.

If you live in Houston, you just have to learn to accept ~20,000 miles plus a year on your car.

I live on the north side of the lake by the JSC (Johnson Space Center), and have occasion to make the trek to IAH several times a month. I plan on an hour -except at peak traffic times which I may extend to 2 hrs- with the best daytime route up 45 to 610 east to 59. Not sure how long ago the poster above who suggested Beltway 8 east has taken that route, but with he neighborhoods that have sprouted along that road (which is not limited access north of I-10) its a slow slog these days (tried to my dismay not so long ago).

Ironically, the construction on I-45 around Nasa Rd One is what eats up time trying to get north from the south side of the lake.

Would agree with the above that the Lake is best hurricane wise...but really that is also only at a floating pier. With Baytown gone, only other place north of there is the HYC.

When trying to find a slip last August, I found slim pickin's. Watergate had a waiting list (they have since built more, but I would not trust that new "improved" seawall they are putting up). I don't like the traffic and all the busy congestion at the Boardwalk. Seabrook had one hard under the bridge (and I remember the debris field in that spot from Ike). Waterford (priciest) had one -which I picked as I need the best protection since I may not be able to take care of the boat up until the last minute as a hurricane approaches. I will say too, the facilities are as nice as I've ever seen at any marina, so you are getting something for the price premium. The northside of the lake was a no go as its too shallow, and nobody there has floating piers anyway. At the time I was looking South Shore and Marina del Sol didn't have slips either. I didn't check Portofino (preferred Waterford anyway) but it would be worth a try as well.

Last edited by sidmon; 02-19-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook