SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

opinion wanted on centerboards

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  CalypsoP35 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm doing the homework for a new sailboat, it has to sail and be a comfortable liveaboard with very shallow-draft.

So looking at these centerboards:
Brewer 12.8
Wauquiez Hood and sisters
Tartan 37

What are your opinions? Price/value ratio? How do they sail short handed?

Any others to consider?

Thank you,
Best regards,
Will

#2 ·
Hi Will,

I have owned two centerboard vessels, a Bristol 29.9 and my current Sabre 34.

I experienced no lack of sailing ability in either vessel, nor are they difficult to single hand. I can't speak directly to the vessels you've listed. Centerboards like any other feature on a boat require maintenance. I replaced the cable on each vessel once. Not a major project, and a reasonable cost in exchange for the greater accessibilty to shallow waters it gives me. My draft is 3'11" board up.

#3 · (Edited)
My Pearson P-35 has a centerboard and have not had any issues with it in the 8 years I've had the boat. The boat is dry-docked every winter and we inspect the cable and the pin joint, but other than that we have not had to do anything. (Actually, that's not true, I have had to clean barnicles out of centerboard box and make sure I get antifouling pain up there so the barnicles don't grow and jam the board in the up position.)

I do not know any specifics about the boats you listed, but I love having a full 5,400 pound keel (OK, with a cut out:rolleyes: ) and only a 3' 8" draft. As for performance, centerboards often don't point quite as high as fixed keels, but the difference is really only noticeable if you're racing. Off the wind being able to raise the board is an advantage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.