SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anti- Air conditioning rant
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
We dont have air, but if I had small children or a wife who was affected by the heat, I wouldnt let a small thing like having an air conditioner on the boat deter me from sailing...but BLjones is right..let me continue the rant

Give up your furlers-- hoist your sails like like the old days
Give up your refrigeration- no self respecting sailor would drink their beer cold
Give up your engine- goodness how did the British ever get up the Chesapeake and get to shore without an engine
Give up your lights..go hunt whales and use them to light you anchor and hurricane lamps

Now you can give up your batteries as their is no need for them.

Give up your headroom- surely the old ships with the 5 ft headroom was enough
Give up your fresh water pressurized system- dont shower...stay au natural like the beavers and skunks
Give up the propane- either eat cold food or your fish raw or carry wood/ carcoals and build a fire ( of course give up your modern extinqusher)
Give up your PFD- risk it like they did in the old days

After all sailing IS mandated to be a purist adventure..either do it all or dont do it at all right. For me who has sailed/ raced for 40 years or so I say let live and let be. If you want to have some of the above, including creature comforts so be it. Whatever gets you out on the water so you can enjoy it...good for you. I cant waste my time worrying about why or what the other guy does to make his boating adventure enjoyable, and I think no less of him if he wants to take some of his creature comforts with him.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook