SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need one crew, Texas to USVI
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2010

Tanny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Tanny
Sailingdog,

As far as I can tell, the boat is well equipped and capable of this trip. I am having the survey done next week and will likely purchase her. The surveyor has done a pre-view of the boat and is impressed with her condition.

She is equipped with a below deck autopilot as well as a windvane with a spare kit. The diesel is new with less than 100 hours. All the latest navigational equipment, solar panels and new battery banks. I'll have to get a certified lifeboat.

I'm not worried about the boat at all.

My experience on the other hand is limited to day sailing when I was in university 35 years ago, and an Ocean Sailing and Navigation course I'm taking in April this year in the USVI.

That's why I need someone who has done this trip before to help me. It's just 30'. Any more than two people on this boat, who don't really know each other that well, will be a bit crowded - no quarter berth - only a vee-berth and convertible salon. I think two people should be able to handle this boat. Am I wrong?

If I have to pay someone, I will - but I have a budget. I would prefer finding someone who needs to get to the VI and is willing to crew for little or no pay. Am I dreaming in Technicolor?

Anyway - I'm not in any hurry. I just didn't want to be in prime Hurricane territory at the end of this coming summer.

Tell me I'm crazy!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook