SailNet Community - View Single Post - Maybe a new Lake Erie sailor...
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2010
Ali Baba

Alibaba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoytek View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I'm seriously looking at the Presque Isle Marina. Now I just need to make the finances work to get the boat.

jonathan
Forget presque isle marina. There is a few years wait. I dont think you are allowed to sleep on your boat overnight. You have to motor out about 300 yards into Marina lake and drop anchor.

Presque Isle bay is great. once you start going there you will laugh at Marain state park. Lake Erie is good sailing in the summer months, if its too rough you can usually still sail along the coast East of Erie or stay in the Bay. If the Winds are out of the North East, just stay in the Bay.

I have been sailing out of Erie Pa for over 30 years. I had a trailerable Macgregor 26D and spent many nights in Marina Lake or I would sail across Lake Erie and drop anchor at long point lighthouse in Canada. There are some small towns if you cross the bay further into Canada.

30 miles west in Conneat Ohio. You can drop anchor there, they have some small restraunts there. .
North East Pa is 15 miles East, I usually pull in after dark and tie off at the launch ramp overnight. 1 good restraunt.
Barcelonia New York is another 12 miles East, Its a protected entrance and you can stay at the dock for $10.00 a night. A few good restraunts within walking distance.

I keep my boat at BayHarbour East. the old cherry street marina. they have a few slips available in the 25`

Commodore Perry Yacht club is between BayHarbour East and BayHarbour West. Two years ago they extended the concrete wall and there is room to expand for a few hundred boats. .

Good Luck.. Hope to see you around.

Last edited by Alibaba; 03-03-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook