SailNet Community - View Single Post - What Equipment is a Must Have for Living Aboard?
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Har View Post
I am in the process of getting my boat ready for living aboard and I have to equip it for life afloat (love that blog by the way Eryka). So here's my wish list and again this for living aboard not necessarily long distance or off shore cruise. Some bacground info. It's a 33 ft Morgan OI, located Chesapeake Bay, berthed in a condo marina with full facilities. I have a steady income, but not a war chest to knock all these at once so I'm looking for a rating in order of necessity.
In order of priority for living aboard:

-New Cushions in V-berth, Quarter Berth, Salon & Settee

If you don't sleep well, the rest of your day is pretty miserable.

-Refrigeration (have a built in ice box)
-Stove/Oven

I'd second the Engel, as they're great. You don't need much of refrigerator if you shop right, but having one for cold drinks and the few perishables you do want aboard is priceless. Also, gotta eat...so need a stove/oven. I prefer propane over diesel or alcohol, just because it is some much easier to use.

-Composting Toliet (I think the old head is in need of replacement soon, it stinks)

Chances are good that the stink is the hoses. Composting heads are rather expensive, and you could rebuild the head and plumbing on your boat for considerably less. Also, composting heads do have some disadvantages, like needing to be left unused for 30 days to fully compost any human waste...

-New Dodger (in bad shape)
-New Bimini (showing it's age)

These are nice for making the cockpit much more liveable, especially under sail.

-Hot Water Heater

Not really necessary, especially if your marina has showers. Using a shower aboard the boat just adds a lot of humidity and can cause mold/mildew problems unless the boat has a dedicated shower. A solar shower can go a long way to replacing a hot water heater, especially in the summertime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
Clarify...will you be staying at the dock long term?

Because if you are cruising, your refer will need power and a lot of it. You didn't mention batteries and charging sources so I'll assume you are staying tied to the dock
I'd point out that I run my Engel 24x7 off of the solar panels and keep my boat on a mooring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 02-22-2010 at 09:15 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook