SailNet Community - View Single Post - What Equipment is a Must Have for Living Aboard?
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Har View Post
I am in the process of getting my boat ready for living aboard and I have to equip it for life afloat (love that blog by the way Eryka). So here's my wish list and again this for living aboard not necessarily long distance or off shore cruise. Some bacground info. It's a 33 ft Morgan OI, located Chesapeake Bay, berthed in a condo marina with full facilities. I have a steady income, but not a war chest to knock all these at once so I'm looking for a rating in order of necessity.

-Refrigeration (have a built in ice box)
-Hot Water Heater
-Stove/Oven
-Composting Toliet (I think the old head is in need of replacement soon, it stinks)
-New Dodger (in bad shape)
-New Bimini (showing it's age)
-New Cushions in V-berth, Quarter Berth, Salon & Settee

So what would you do first, second or without if you were me?
If I put them in order (for me), I'd go with ...

Sleep - whatever it takes to get a good night of sleep, if that is cushions for you then I'd go with the cushions first. More important for me would be warm quilts, comfortable pillows, a fan for sleeping in the summer, and whatever heat is needed for winter.

Eat - some kind of stove, pressure cooker, pressure canner, dehydrator, etc, and this also takes care of "hot water" for some because it is heated on the stove in the pressure canner. If you have wood heat with a surface area then that's your stove too.

Toilet - some kind of toilet, necessary.

After that it is whatever you want, I think, none of it really necessary. Maybe an oven might be next, refrigeration is last on my list since I don't use it. Before new dodger/bimini I would put "mosquito netting" because the bugs are more of a nuisance than the Sun for me.

I realize other people have different priorities, but you did say "if you were me".

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook