SailNet Community - View Single Post - What Equipment is a Must Have for Living Aboard?
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Har, if you mentioned whether you're mostly cruising, or mostly living at dockside and going to a job, I missed it, so my answer may not be relevant. Not that it matters what "my" priorities would be, what matters is what makes YOU feel like you're camping out. So rather than a prioritized list, just a few random thoughts.

I totally support the good night's sleep as #1 priority. If your budget is very tight, as a stopgap you can get a 1-inch thick memory foam mattress topper $59.99 at Walmart, and cut it to fit. Big impact for small cost. Get some good ventilation material to put under the cushions when you redo them, makes the upholstery last longer and puts an end to mold. Ours is about an inch thick made of plastic that looks like a tangle of spagetti, from Defender.

If you're mostly at the dock you can use small inexpensive electric appliances like a coffeepot, microwave, or hotplate instead of a new stove right away; and a dorm-size refrigerator until you're ready to cut the docklines. If you're going to be away from the dock a lot, Coleman camp stove with propane bottles might be more practical. Block ice in the icebox works well enough unless you're a serious foodie, you can probably put the fridge lower on the priority list.

What makes ME feel like I'm camping out is walking back from a shower with wet hair, so very high on my list is a hot-water heater and good handheld sprayer for the head. We've never had the condensation problems Sailingdog warns about, after 8 years of showering aboard. I think it must be a function of the way the head is designed on our boat; its very well ventilated. I'd look at replacing the head hoses and dosing the holding tank with bioactive deodorizer to lower the urgency of that project as well.

Hope this helps - and, enjoy the process of moving/living aboard. Keep us posted, and hope to see you at the Sailnet Chesapeake 2010 raftup (when we figure out when & where it is) Thanx for reading the blog!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook