SailNet Community - View Single Post - Miami Boat Show, Catalina,Hunter,Beneteau,Jeanueau
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010

EdMassey is on a distinguished road
Ed Massey

Ms. Renee,
Congratulations on making a real effort to summarize your feelings regarding the Catalina 445, Hunter 49, Beneteau 50 and Jeanneau 50DS. You are obviously a sailing enthusiast and as you stated you are an ordinary sailor, not an industry expert. Any time more than one sailor expresses an opinion regarding a particular sailboat there will be someone else who disagrees. The most important thing is that you own a sailboat and use it regularly. Your opinions are just that, yours, no problem there. However, while you made some good points you missed many important points. More importantly when reviewing a boat it is essential that you understand what the designer/engineer/architect was thinking about and what goals they were striving to achieve. Also one can not really understand a boat without a thorough knowledge of boat construction and it's various levels of quality. I personally disagree with many of your comments, opinions and assumptions, but not with your effort. The danger here is that you are not really qualified to judge these boats and your comments can be misleading and harmful to others. This is particularly true given the reach of the internet. If you would like to get past the "skin" of these boat lines and really understand them I suggest you organize factory tours of each builder. I will be happy to assist setting up tours of the Catalina and Hunter plants. Regards, Ed Massey-Massey Yacht Sales & Service
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook