SailNet Community - View Single Post - A Plug for Celestial Navigation
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwilson View Post
"I will cease and desist now, but reiterate one last time that GPS, with or without WAAS, is more accurate than coastal piloting can be. (for all the reasons stated above) No one said anything about not looking out the port holes! If GPS fails, then coastal piloting is a perfectly reasonable alternative, and always a useful check of a working GPS fix.
Sorry WWilson, But I have found that my skills at coastal piloting is and always will be more accurate then GPS. Many times I have had the GPS had me more then a hundred yards on the beach and not in the center of the Bayou that I am transiting. So your above statment leaves much to be desired. I believed my eyes and Coastal plotting and not the GPS.
The GPS depends on Good Antenna placement, Good Antenna connections, good batteries, proper setup and A strong Second means of navigation, such as being SKILLED in Coastal navigation. And to become skilled in CP is Practice, Practice, and Practice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook