SailNet Community - View Single Post - Miami Boat Show, Catalina,Hunter,Beneteau,Jeanueau
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post

Beneteau Oceanis 50

To quote Beneteau “The Oceanis 50 also features the same sleek coachroof, long side windows, a fully integrated mainsail arch and all the ergonomic ease of detailed design to make the most of every space. ...... The new integrated mainsail arch is a disaster to be kind. No traveler and it is made of fiberglass. I guess they didn't learn anything from the earlier Hunter fiberglass arches. ...
Melrna,

I have seen that controversy about the fragility of the Oceanis 50 mainsail arch on a thread on this forum. I don't know if they are well made or not but I can point out that "Malo", a top of the range Swedish Yachts Company have been using them for 20 or 30 years without any problem.

I have asked the guys from Malo, on the Dusseldorf boat show, if they have had in the past any problem with them and the answer was very clear: never. I have asked how they are made. It turns out that only on the lower part there is some steel reinforcement. All the rest is fiberglass.

Malö Yachts

The Malos have a small traveler on the arch but I should point out that the system that Oceanis 50 is using seems to me adequate to the kind of sailor that will buy that boat. That system (and no traveler) is used by several other manufacturers, among them, Hanse Yachts.

The control of the main sail will not be as good as the one provided by a traveler, but that boat has a simplified running rig anyway. If you want a better sailing boat with all the right controls on the right places, perhaps you should look at the First 50, not the Oceanis 50. The First 50 has also a very nice interior and a cruising version, with a smaller mast and a smaller draft.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook