SailNet Community - View Single Post - Miami Boat Show, Catalina,Hunter,Beneteau,Jeanueau
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
thanks for your thoughts mel

I think Mel did a great job of presenting the new boats from a current boat owner perspective.

I share some of your same thoughts, in particular...
the modern/contemporary decor...it can and often is a nightmare to actually use the boat with materials that show dirt, are difficult to clean, and have tons of places that can not be accessed to BE cleaned

life lines too low, or stanchions just tall enough to catch your shorts legs, or pockets. Why Mr Massey are the lifelines of many builders so low as to provide NO ability to keep the crew aboard, quite the contrary on many boats - the lines hit just below the knee or at the knee.

Cockpit tables and wheels that make the person steering have to step up/around/over/squeeze to move forward. Even boats with twin wheels often cause this.

Access to any and all systems of the boat. My boat, now old enough to need water lines replaced and tanks in the near future, offer no reasonable way to re-plumb. This will be a very labor intensive project. Same with tanks, whether water or fuel or holding. Again Mr Massey, what is the thought process behind the design? Are the designers sailors?

As an engineer, I strive to understand "what were they thinking" much as Mel has in her reviews.

While I realize that all boats are compromises, it was very refreshing to read Mel's comments, and as a fellow sailor, her opinion is one that I value, regardless of her professional credentials or lack there of.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook