SailNet Community - View Single Post - Miami Boat Show, Catalina,Hunter,Beneteau,Jeanueau
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Paulo, you are correct in that the arc is not new and is on excellent boats like the Malo. BTW I love a Malo. Now that is a boat! But it cares a hefty price tag that goes with such an excellent built boat. Like cars, sailboats that are built in Europe rarely make it to the USA. Those that do are in very small quantities. The Beneteau on the one I reviewed is made here in the USA. Like you said it has a simple running rig and made for a certain market. I stated that market is for the Mooring charter company for a simpler design for sailing in my opinion. I believe that is what Ed Massey was alluding to in one of his comments. That is fine with me as long as the person buying this boat knows that. The fact that no traveller exist on this size boat in unbelievable. Sail trim suffers and the ability to dump the lift during overpowering situations is borderline dangerous. The First series boats are excellent boats for those looking for performance. They have proven themselves on the race course. When one looks at a large boat like the ones I reviewed there are certain markets that a boat builder is going after; the daysailer/overnight, coastal cruising, charter and bluewater. Each has it own characteristics from a design standpoint. If one is going to buy a 50' sailboat, the designer should at least make the boat up to coastal cruising standards borderline bluewater cruising. My comments reflect that statement.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook