SailNet Community - View Single Post - does it make sense to buy a boat without an engine and convert it to electric?
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010

rmeador is on a distinguished road
does it make sense to buy a boat without an engine and convert it to electric?

When I say "without engine", I most likely mean nonfunctional. My understanding is that boats with nonfunctional engines tend to sell much, much cheaper. I did a little reading here last night and discovered some threads talking about converting to electric motors instead of using an engine (they linked to things like electricyacht.com). I like the idea of electric for maintenance reasons (no winterization, no oil changing) and the instant-on and silence of operation. Also being able to use it as a generator while under sail is appealing to me.

Do you think it would be cost-effective to buy such a boat and convert it? Or should I just buy a fully-functional boat with a diesel and forget about this crazy plan? This would be my first boat, so maybe the extra work involved in converting it would be biting off more than I can chew, but I'm already pretty set on adding central heat, so there's going to be some pretty big work going on anyways. I'll probably want to keep the diesel tank for both the heat and a generator if I decide I want to extend the electric motor range using one. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook