SailNet Community - View Single Post - does it make sense to buy a boat without an engine and convert it to electric?
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Not to be the other person in this debate. BUT, Depending upon where you live, how you sail etc, an electric boat could be worth it. It would also depend upon the "hulk" you are about to use too. If the Hulk is in decent shape, but a rod thru a block or other major engine blow up issue, it could be worth it. BUT, It would only be worth it to me, "IF" I planned to use the boat personally for at least 3 if not 5+ years, then the $$ ROI might work in my favor. Otherwise, not sure I would do such a thing.

Where I am in Puget sound, most marina's are not more than 10 miles or so apart, where you could get electrical if need be. I would hope you could go more than that, more like 50-100 miles. If so, that is plenty for most of us. Heck, I can not even go 50 miles on the 7 gals of diesel in my tank with out stopping or filling up while traveling with a 5 gal container.

In the end, it will depend upon how you use the boat, how many batteries ie big of a "amp" tank you have etc.

I would not plan to make money on this adventure.

Marty