SailNet Community - View Single Post - has anyone heard of a Cal-Pearson (1968)
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010

bobdamiano is on a distinguished road
We were surprised too. But the closer we looked, the more we saw. While it sat in the yard unfinished, it got some rainwater damage. Most of that was repaired - cosmetically. The real issue (I think) was that the grid structure was very under-built. On top of that, the mast step sat directly on the hull between the grids on a little composite "box". The mast also had no tie-rod. The fact that the forward bulkhead was completely rotted away from the bottom of the hull probably didn't help.

The symptom we noticed during the survey was that the floor was clearly curved downward under the mast and the floor panels were all jammed together indicating that the sides of the hull actually got sucked in by the downward deformation.

There were a few mystery leaks noticed in the survey too. Once the headliner and trim were out, we saw all the "extra holes" they drilled around the toe-rail and other places (maybe they thought it needed more ventilation). Those are all epoxy filled now.

The boat has a massive grid structure now. The mast will sit ON three of the stringers (one of which is new), and will have a tie-rod. To further stiffen things, a brand new 3/4" bulkhead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
i remember seeing that boat on yachtworld both before and after the final outfitting by Bristol Marine. I am very surprised she needed the work shown in your blog. You should have a fine boat when its all done.
Good luck!