SailNet Community - View Single Post - Miami Boat Show, Catalina,Hunter,Beneteau,Jeanueau
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
.. Hanse, Moody, Malo and other European boats in this class cost here about 200-350k more for the same boat as those at the boat show. ...
Melrna,
Let me make two corrections:

I have said that the First 50 had a shallow draft version. It turns out that they only advertise two types of keels, being the less depth 2.4M (on the 45 they have three, one of them with 2.0M). I don't know if they will make a 2.0 version for the 50.

Regarding the prices of the boats you mention above and the 200-352k they cost more than the Beneteau e Jeanneau, that is only true on the Malo. The Hanse is only slightly more expensive and the Moody a lot more but not that much.

To give you an idea I will post European prices, with 20% VAT included. All boats with sails and basic equipment:

Beneteau Oceanis 50 - 251 040 euros
Beneteau First 50 - 329 976
Jeanneau DS 50 - 254 963
Dufour 485 - 313 054
Hanse 470 - 203 900
Hanse 545 - 328 900
Moody 45 - 285 844

As you have said the Oceanis and the Jeanneau DS are pointing directly to the charter market and to the ones that want a boat with a big and bright interior. The Dufour and the Hanse are faster, more enjoyable to sail and are more pointed as owner´s boat. The Dufour has (in my opinion) a slight better finish, the Hanse can be made in Epoxy (almost all chose that option) and that makes it a stronger boat. It has also the advantage of an easy handling (front sail on a traveler and big main). The Hanse has lots of options and that brings the price up but permits you to personalise the boat.
The Moody (only has a 45) is on a completely diferent category, with much better finish. It has also a front sail on a traveller and is a suprisingly good sailing boat, amazingly fast for the type of boat. I believe the price is relativelly low because the boat is made by Hanse Yatchs and that permits some scale economy (some of the hardware is the same you will find on the Hanses).

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 02-24-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook