SailNet Community - View Single Post - Glen Cove to Shelter Island
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010

Brezzin is on a distinguished road
Back in October We did Mystic CT to Glen Cove in a day on a Lagoon 4400 about 12 hours in total that day. We averaged probably a little over 8 knots because it was a nasty day and we motored from the inside helm. I know you can't do this but quite honestly I think you can probably average around 4 to 5 knots. Now Glen Cove to SI is approx 81 total miles. Glen Cove to Port Jeff is 29 miles from breakwater to harbor entrance. So your right, day 2 will be a killer.
I think you should try to get at least to Mt Sinai Harbor. I know its only about 4 miles further but that's an hour less the next day. I don't love the idea of going over to the CT coast because it will add 3 to 4 hours to your total trip time. Remember that you never go as fast as you plan to. I think if you motor the whole way day one you can (actually will have to if you go past Mt Sinai) get to Mattituck at around 53 miles. That makes day 2 an easy 30 mile run. Giving you more flexibility going through the gut. You can be drinking a beer at Claudios by 3 pm.
2007 Hunter 49

Last edited by Brezzin; 02-24-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook