SailNet Community - View Single Post - Plumbing options for 2 identical fuel tanks
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Plumbing options for 2 identical fuel tanks

My boat currently has 250l fuel in one tank and 750l water in 3 tanks. Since I have a watermaker I will make do with just 500l of freshwater in 2 tanks and will convert one of those water tanks to diesel.

The manufacturer of the water tank has stated that the material is not suitable for fuel storage. I am ordering an identical tank in the correct plastic from the same manufacturer (through Jeanneau). Once it arrives I will have 2 tanks in the aft cabin side by side, the port one has 2 fuel pickups, returns & shutoffs (for main and genset), the fuel line going to a Racor filter.

Now I am in the process of trying to decide plumbing options for the fuel. The only decision I've made so far is to put in a dual Racor filter and a preference for KISS, i.e. keeping the fuel delivery system from just one tank and trying to come up with an optimal (and simple) method of getting fuel levels either automatically balanced or some simple manual transfer method to the port ('live') tank.

My goal in doing this is to increase my range and not necessarily to create redundant systems, but I could be convinced to have 2 separate systems.

I'd like to hear opinions and suggestions from the forum and will certainly hear some viewpoints or aspects that I hadn't thought about - thanks in advance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook