SailNet Community - View Single Post - Convincing the wife, living aboard in Florida is a good idea.
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010

Soontobecruiser is on a distinguished road
I am a wife that loved sailing but wasn't sure about living aboard for a long time. I really enjoyed vacationing 2 weeks at a time on our boat on the Chesapeake Bay. This past summer we had decided to do the work on our boat that we thought were absolute musts and then head off to Florida. An interesting and blessed turn of events happened and I found out we are expecting a child about a month before we left Virginia on the boat. We are currently in Marathon, Florida and I am now 24 weeks pregnant.

We traveled down the ICW and spend about 2 months over the holidays with my in-laws in the Daytona Beach area. I love sailing and believe I always will. My husband and I tend to push hard at anything we do. We had a cold wet trip down the ICW (Heat and hot water didn't make it on the list of must haves). Even if money wasn't an issue we are both seriously reconsidering if this is how we want to live for long term. We have a 36' boat which just is not enough room and it doesn't have enough tankage. It hasn't been a real easy trip and having to stop at a marina every now and then gets to be expensive pretty quick. There tend to be problems that creep up on a regular basis and we have found out that provisioning with food along the east coast requires lots of walking or bike riding (bike riding has been to uncomfortable for me to do.)

I wouldn't change the time and the experiences as we have travelled to Florida. There have been some really great days and I am sure a better equipped boat would have made some things more comfortable. I don't know for sure what we will end up doing other than there is a good chance that my husband will have to go back to work for a while.

If you both aren't into it, you will almost definitely have problems.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook