SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jacksonville Florida Sailing
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010
Seinor Member

capn_dave is on a distinguished road
Well If you have 2" draft

Have no problem like Imagine, LOL besides he has 2 hulls and is 30 FEET WIDE. That boat of his don't turn to good.

Now If you would have 4.5 foot draft you would be allot better off. I would keep away form the shore areas in the St. Johns. There are pilings that have rotted off at the water line all over the place. The bottom is mostly soft mud so grounding is not much of a problem. Just watch out across the river from Green Cove Springs Marina, there is a 2 ft hump made out of old concrete from the navy days. I can't tell you the number of people I have rescued from there. It's marked on the charts, but you will usually find it the hard way.

Julington Creek is a pretty protected spot. Watch out after you get out of the cove and into the river. Raggedy Point really catches the high winds. It's a long fetch.

You really have to stay in the channel on the ICW. even then you will surly run aground due to shoaling

The Rudder Club is located on the north side of the Buckman Bridge on the west bank. They have a good race Schedule. Along with the Mug Race, billed as the worlds longest river race.
Need more info just ask away
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook