SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tiller holder
Thread: Tiller holder
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
The cajun has immediate release, just slide her aft.

For flag halyards, one can buy a shroud cleat. It's made out of aluminum and stainless and doesn't do your shroud any favors.
Or, one can take a cheap little plastic cleat, groove out the bottom with a Dremel to accept the wire and seize it on with some waxed twine. Both will work just as well.

For hanging fenders, one can buy a plastic clip thing that you tie your line to and then hang on the lifelines.
Or, one can just tie directly to a shroud, hand rail, toe rail, genoa car or stanchion base.
You won't bend your stanchions, loosen the bolts and create leaks if you don't hang crap on your lifelines.

I love using line for things that other people feel they need to buy little metal and plastic things to do.
I really like the Cajun thing too, but only in certain conditions.

I was hove to or extremely close hauled in heavy seas for a period of 5 days once and the tiller comb that was holding my tiller never slipped once.
As much as I love knots, there is no way that the Cajun thing could do that.

What you make, buy, and ultimately use for taming your tiller, as well as every other system on the boat, depends on how you want to use the boat and how trouble free you want it to be.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook