SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Sirius 35

Sirius 35:

Some months ago I have been inside that one, in the Dusselodorf Boat show. I chose to present the videos from the 32 because the quality of the first pictures of the 35ft is bad and doesn’t make justice to the boat. I think they have finished that boat just in time for the show and had no time to make proper photos.

The 35 is a beautiful boat with a great interior.

preview image
preview image

And a strong boat (don’t try this on an Oceanis ).

preview image

I have liked the boat so much that I have even considered to change my plans of buying a 40/42 to have that one (and my wife would not mind at all and she is a pain in the ass in what regards the minim storage space for a decent cruising boat). Unfortunately the boat is considerable more expensive than a 42 mass production sailboat.

I will post some pictures with the items that have impressed me most, and add some comments:

1- The steering wheel is a knock-out. It is of considerable size to ensure the most comfortable position while sailing, or to be taken out of the way to give passage, it swings from one side to another, or remains in the central position. Take also a look at the very neat arrangement of the bow anchor and to the well designed bath platform and passage to the cockpit.

Sirius-Werft Plön | Bathing Platform | Bathing Platform

2- Look at the oilskin locker, right where it is supposed to be, on the boat’s entrance to the interior, with dedicated space for wet boots, lots of space for jackets and an interior light. I know of very few 50ft that offer such a good and convenient space dedicated to oilskins.

Sirius-Werft Plön | Oilskins Locker | Oilskins Locker
Sirius-Werft Plön | Your individual yacht | Your individual yacht

3 – Click on the last two pictures and see why my wife likes this one. These guys are perfectionists to the point of obsession. Look at all that storage space and in the way all space is used the best possible way to be useful.

Sirius-Werft Plön | Pantry | Pantry

4-Look at the main room. It is incredibly “open” and big for a 35ft. It is not very apparent on the photos, but this “room” has a nice view. Look at the size of the hull ports, or should I say “windows”? I believe they are the same that are used on the big Hanse (630). Look at the zenithal light that comes from the top (big hatch) and the small portlight for ventilation.

Sirius-Werft Plön | Owner´s cabin | Owner´s cabin

5 – Look at the front cabin that in many bigger boats would be a very good owner’s cabin. It has a small sofa, like the other and also a small hull portlight. Plenty of light from above and lots of storage space. Look at the quality of the wood work.

Sirius-Werft Plön | Front cabin | Front cabin

6-Look at the size and quality of the head. Look at the completely separated shower room (on the opposite side of the head). Plenty of space, plenty of light. If you are taking a shower, the head remains available to be used by another person.

Sirius-Werft Plön | Shower & toilet room | Shower & toilet room

7-The photos of the saloon are really bad and don’t give you any idea of the quality of the space, but you can see that besides the upper hatch you have two very good quality side waterproof openings of considerable size, for lateral ventilation and you may notice also that all “windows” are situated at the right height to give you a perfect all around view, while seated. These windows are made of safety-glass in double aluminum frames. The windows are approved for world-wide cruise for impact of breaking waves.

Sirius-Werft Plön | Saloon | Saloon

8-You have a big technical room, and it is not only big but with the right things in the right places; I mean you have a work bench and dedicated space to store all that stuff that you need to have, but never know where to store it.

Sirius-Werft Plön | Technic Room | Technic Room

9-This boat has a standard draft of 1.9M (lots of options) and in that configuration a lead ballast of 2.6T, for a total weight of 7.4T. That means that this boat will have more ballast than an Oceanis 43 (2.5T).
This means that this boat, with a very good ballast/displacement ratio, will have a very good stability with special relevance to the reserve stability.

10-This boat, notwithstanding the huge amount of interior space is not a beamy boat, with a 3.45M as max beam and only 3.15 on the waterline. For example, an Oceanis 34 will have 3.65 as max. beam. This points to an easily driven hull that will go well against the wind with not much pounding.

11-The boat has a 22 m² self-tacking jib, main sail 29 m² (automatic single line reefing) that will not be much for a 7.4T boat, but will guarantee a boat that will be easily handed in bad weather. The drawings show a big geenaker well positioned way from the front sail. This can be a fixed sail mounted on a roller, it is an option and it has 90m2. It will work like a giant genoa and will give the punch needed to sail well with weak winds.

12-This boat can have optionally a 55hp engine. This will give the boat almost the capabilities of a motor-sailor. A motor sailor that is also a good sailing boat .

13-This boat comes with a good standard inventory, including teak decks and has a list of optional that includes bullet proof windows among a lot of other more useful items like full batten mainsail and a redesigned mast for cutter stay with a second roller furling system.

Sirius-Werft Plön | Technical datas | Technical datas

14-There is something that I don’t like? Yes, I don’t like the anchor locker and the impossibility to have an easy access to the chain on the bottom. I will prefer an open well and the winch situated on the opposite position (back), but that is easy to change and these guys will tailor the boat to your needs. I believe that they have learned a lot with the modifications that their clients had done in their boats and I believe also that they have mostly good and experienced sailors as clients, because the final result is a very sophisticated and practical sailboat.

Sirius-Werft Plön | Anchor Locker | Anchor Locker

15-A final note about the hull design: I will bet that you are going to look at these sleek hull lines and are going to think: How the hell is it possible to put that huge interior on this sleek hull? You will not be the first one .

preview image
preview image
preview image

This is a Great sailing boat, a boat that will raise admiration among all true sailors. A boat that will permit to cruise comfortably and living aboard without the extra costs that a bigger boat will inevitably bring (costs of marinas, maintenance, antifouling and so on). This boat will be a lot more easy to sail and mainly, a boat a lot more easy to put in and out of a tight marina.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 12-12-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook