SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat dogs?
Thread: Boat dogs?
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2010

rdstanley is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=tager;574556]I just got a boat dog about 3 weeks ago. Her name is Plumb. She is a purebred pug.

Pugs are slow, small, can't jump very high, and are deceptively heavy for their size, 18 pounds. They swim like a panicking rock. Pugs also are allergic to fleas and are prone to hot spots in their double coat. They don't shed very much, and sleep up to 18 hours a day. They are highly trainable, very loving, and extremely docile and non-violent. Our pug was abused before we got her, and she is already becoming a very good dog. Her personality is incredible for having been abused.

They snore a lot, and their tongues often stick out of their mouths. I would suggest one as a boat dog. Plumb has 2 bad knees, so she needs help up the particularly tricky companionway in my boat, but otherwise she does alright.

Oh yea, pugs run at 103 degrees Fahrenheit, so they make a great lap warmer. They get cold easily, and overheat easily. I would recommend shaving them in the summer, and putting a jacket on them in the winter. They have very little fat, but plenty of extra skin, and a very soft, thick, but only 1/8" deep coat.

They are great to put in your lap in the cockpit if you are a cruiser type.

My pugs were with you up till the "shave them in the summer" thing. They want no part of that. Be warned pugs shed constantly. They have 2 coats of straight fine hair. Ours shed all year long. Great dogs though, couldn't imagine not having either one of them.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook