SailNet Community - View Single Post - Your best comfort advise
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2010
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

IslanderGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle30 View Post
What are your thoughts on harnesses on kids? Last year the then 1 year old HATED his SOLAS PFd. We were adamant and forced him to keep it on. I have been reading here and am considering a harness and safety netting this year.
Lifeline netting is WONDERFUL in my opinion. Such an added safety when the kids are walking around on deck, even when docked. I also like it for various other reasons, keeps the sail on the foredeck better when raising and lowering (no roller furling on my boat at the moment) Helps keep jackets and other things from flying overboard if the wind catches them, etc.

We have kid harnesses, but have not used them a whole lot. The kids really do not like them. If the wind is up, we require them to use them, but they usually opt to stay below instead. We have been very lucky in the PDF department, both kids do not mind them at all and will often wear them hiking around or even to the store in town. Sometimes I can not get them to take them off! Odd. Not sure how that happened.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook