SailNet Community - View Single Post - Too cold to sail?
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
All kiding a side - there's pleanty - buy a dry suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Hi all,
I'm new here, and to sailing in general. Been boating most my life otherwise.
I'm eagerly awaiting spring to launch my first sailboat, a Precision-15, and learn how to sail, as many have done before me. Unfortunately we're getting more snow, with about two feet piled up outside, with temps barely tickling the freezing, or rather I should say, melting point.

So, in my despair for warmer weather, I've resigned myself to a couple more months of it being just 'too darn cold' to sail. What better to do than sit back, and read accounts of Shackelton's Antartic expedition, including his 800 mile trans-Antartic ocean voyage in not much more than my dinghy, to save his life and that of his crew.

Yeah, its too darn cold to sail. Where's my Snuggie?
You will extend you sailing season for years to come, and add safety when sailing in cold water in the spring.

I had a beach cat years ago; when other beach cat sailors told me they wanted more wind, I told them to buy a dry suit. t blows harder in the winter. Sailing can actually be pleasant down to about 32F; below that, if there is any spray, it gets a bit grim on the face. Ski goggles help a lot, as do good Gore-tex ski gloves.

I posted a piece about winter sailing:
Sail Delmarva: Search results for winter sailing bubbler

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook