SailNet Community - View Single Post - Feathering Prop vs. Fixed Blade Prop
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2010

rtblock1@juno.com is on a distinguished road
Max Prop vs. Feathering

Everyone has an opinion on this one.

My boatyard is really anti-Max Prop. I was seriously considering going with a fixed prop as two of my buddies were. I was going this way largely because of the every 3 month zinc change and the purported better motoring. I have decided to hold off for a bit longer given the experiences of my two friends.

The first has a Tartan 40 and a Westerbeke 40+. He had the prescribed new 3 blade prop installed and he is miserable. His speed has decreased at the same rpm and his backing down is worse. He may have been stressing his engine with the Max Prop's settings he was using but he is really unhappy.

The second friend has a Moody 42 with the same engine as me, Yanmar 4jh2te. He put on the biggest fixed 3 blade prop he could. We motored on and off for 10 days together this past fall on the way to Annapolis and if anything my boat was a bit faster despite its shorter waterline and heavier displacement. I was very surprised and so was he.

So, I'm holding off a bit longer before this item hits the top of the priority list.

Roger Block
Shango
PS 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook