SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sanity Check-Does this route make sense?
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2010

creedence623 is on a distinguished road
Sanity Check-Does this route make sense?

I am going to be sailing from Norfolk to Tampa and am starting to get a little more detailed in my route planning. I was hoping someone with some knowledge of the area could give me a sanity check on my proposed route from Norfolk to Ocracoke Sound. I am doing this in a Catalina 36 MKI. Aprox 55 foot mast hight and 5'10" draft:

I plan on departing High Street in Norfolk for the 1100 opening of the Gilmerton Bridge. Travel the estimated 68 miles motor-sailing at an average 4 knots which I estimate to take approximately 16 hours. I can stop for the evening in either the Atlantic Yacht Basin, Blackwater Creek, or Midway Marina depending on progress.

Enter Albermarle Sound and sail South to Ocracoke inlet. One area of concern is my ability to pass under the William Umstead Bridge, is there a place with greater than 55 foot clearance along the bridge? I am trying to find a place to stop for a night so we donít have to enter Ocracoke at night as well. The plan is to enter the Atlantic at Ocracoke, and hug the coast southbound making 24-48 hour hops the rest of the way.

So, any causes for concern with my proposed route? Should I anticipate depth issues or bridge/wire clearances along the way?

As always, thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook