SailNet Community - View Single Post - Trying to get it right
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010

acceri is on a distinguished road
Trying to get it right

Its mine now. My friend owned a Pearson 10m 1974 ,hull 61, for just under 10 years. He introduced me to sailing . I retired and took a basic sailing course.He is passed now, and it is mine to care for. I am just a rookie and I want to do this right. He loved to spend time on his "yacht"..on the water,at the mooring or at the slip . He only recently began to teach me about winterizing and upkeep.

I have been reading all I can find on Pearsons , heads, electrical systems and atomic 4's. Now I am sure this is a much bigger task than I first imagined.

I already know the head needs work, the holding tank doesnt work (recirculating , I have descovered on sailnet), spark plug frozen in cyl #1, hatch leaks, bilge pump wired with lamp cord, a battery charge does exist. I am having a heck of a time tracing wiring and hoses. I spent hours looking for a seacock that delivers water to the head (there isnt any).

In any case, I believe before I invest much money I should
1) hire a boat surveyer to determine some things like;

a) condition of chain plates (early hulls may have a problem..I read on a post to sailnet)
b) condition of hull
c) seacock condition (I think the one I found for engine cooling has a gate valve
d)condition of engine

Any other big deal issues ?

I would like to change the holding tank,fix the head, change spark plugs,convert to electronic ignition,install a real bilge pump rather than a tiny submersable), reseat the hatch,fix sluggish transmission...
Since I have no experience with boats , I wonder why think I can do some of this myself.
Do you think a reality check is in order?

Last edited by acceri; 03-02-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook