SailNet Community - View Single Post - Replacing seacocks and through hulls.
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by davewild View Post
I would like to know if there is any way of assessing the condition of seacocks and through hull fittings? Of course safety is 1st priority but money doesn't grow on trees.
You need to clean off any corrosion and inspect the seacocks very closely to see if they've started to dezincify from galvanic corrosion. If they have any pinkish spots, they really should be replaced.

Quote:
If they should need to be replaced, what brands, types and materials are recommended. I sail 90%+ of the time on a salt-water river and the rest on the ocean. If replaceing then quality( life-span, impact ressistance, etc) takes a priority over price. I have almost always found that better products work out cheapest over the long term.
I would recommend you read Maine Sail's excellent how to on this issue. It will answer most of your questions. It is located HERE. Per Maine Sail's post, I would also recommend using the flanged adapters. It makes replacing the seacock a lot simpler.

Quote:
One last question. Do I need to earth them? I don't use shore power, apart from charging the battery with a double insulated charger hence no earth pin on the plug. I would think this means I wouldn't have earth leakage but I go through prop shaft anodes in about 6-8 months so I think a boat in my vicinity may have a problem. Is there an effective way of fixing this?

Thanks,

Dave.
No, grounding them isn't necessary.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook