SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sun Shine 36
Thread: Sun Shine 36
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010
Welpman

welpman is on a distinguished road
Jeanneau SunShine 36/38 (1986)

We have one of the two Jeanneau Sunshine’s in the Puget Sound. I bought Cygnet two years ago. I cruise about 45 days each summer and a couple of weekend cruises a month. I've logged over 4500 nm since I bought her. The boat is a true joy to sail.

Great cruising boat, and with a handicap of 114 she is fun to race too. The sugar scoop gives you almost three feet more of water line. You will pay for that extra waterline in slip fees. The sugar scoop makes an excellent swim step and dingy dock. Everyone asks, "What is that" and did you put it on. The sugar scoop was factory installed. So you have the same water line as the Sunshine Regatta (38)

We have a true sugar scoop on the boat (not a walk through transom. (Both of Puget Sound Sunshine’s have a sugar scoops). I have the swing keel which draws a total of 9 ft when deployed. Keel up we have a "Spade" Keel which draws 5'4". The boat goes to weather wonderfully with the keel down. She is a very balanced boat. Once you've trimmed the boat, you can let go of the wheel and she'll sail herself. I've had her up to 8.6kts in a blow crossing Haro Straits. She did well in the heavy wind, the skipper not so much. The Sunshine will do ~ 7.5kt in a nice breeze without any effort.

My only complaint is the motor is a bit under powered. So in the summer months when the wind is not that great, we have to do a lot of motoring. With a Yanmar 3HM35 you can cruise at 5.5 to 6 kts. Most of my cruising buddies make port before I do if we’re on the motor.

Interior: We have three staterooms, one is now a garage. Refer is large, two burner propane stove and oven work well. A well appointed head. I'm 6'2", head room forward of the compression post is a bit low. Main Cabin is just fine. Lots of teak throughout the cabin. Not much topside, so bright work is not a big problem. Of course this is an older boat, so there is the maintenance required to keep the boat in tip top shape.

All in all Cygnet has been a great boat. I would recommend anyone looking at a Jeanneau Sunshine to take a good long look. I’m glad I did.

Mark Welpman
SV Cygnet

The Cygnet - Windows Live
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook