SailNet Community - View Single Post - Which boat would best suit this challenge?
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectfenix View Post
Wow.. Lots of replies.. and several of you have been quite nice and informative, and a few have just been bitter, but what else can you expect with internet forums..

Yes I am young and dumb, and yes I am poor, do I want money? Of course, but that's not what this is about.. This whole idea came from when some friends and I were discussing yet another stupid "How much money would it take to do this" kind of thing.. I have friends that say they would have to get at least a million dollars to live in solitude on a boat for a year.. and I said I would do it as long as it didn't cost me anything.. not for the money, but for doing something a little crazy that would let me prove to myself I could meet the challenge head on and win..

and sure, there are a lot of people sailing on their own and it's not some novel idea any more.. but honestly have you ever heard of anyone who did step off their boat for an entire year? I mean that's a long time in solitude.. that means no sex for a year.. it's not about money.. Money is required, money that I don't have, but I'm not doing this so I can make money, I'm simply trying something wild.. I'm sorry that will offend people who get up everyday hating their life, people whose only outlet is to come on here and bash the ideas and dreams of others.. I'm 27, pretty much broke, I have no idea what I want to even do with my life, or what I'm supposed to be, but you know what, I'm still happy.. I may not have a lot of material things or a long list of status builders but I'm smiling more and laughing harder than most anyone I know..

Wish me luck or wish me hate, we'll see if it all goes down.. Cheers!

Murdock
Sorry, Murdock. But it's been done already. You can read about it here:

Reid Stowe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reid Stowe had a girlfriend along for a while, but she got pregnant and left. So he's only spent about two years alone on the boat, I guess. But maybe he is more motivated than you (something about overdue child support payments?)

Beyond the logistical aspects, I see no challenge whatsoever in locking yourself inside a boat and not talking to anyone for a year. That's no different than going off and living like a hermit (in a remote shack, an RV, a city apartment, whatever) just to say you did it. If you're going that route regardless, why not try an igloo or a yurt instead? There are even some reclusive monastaries that might take you in, where you can take a vow of silence.

If you want to challenge yourself, save some money, find a boat to fix up and go sailing. If you lack the resources or wherewithal, consider putting your time to productive use and join one of the services. If it's water you're attracted to, the USCG or Navy would be happy to have you I'm sure.

All the best of luck with whatever you do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook