SailNet Community - View Single Post - Preemptive Strike
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
The pirates are being painted by the press as morally bankrupt thieves. I am pretty sure that many of them are bankrupt fishermen.
In the first instance the fellow who wrote the article you posted a link to was exposed to Somalia in 1998. At that time MAYBE the story of fishermen losing their livelyhood had a modicum of validity. 12 years on the rules have changed.

If you have access to it read the article in the March Cruising World written by a person who has had direct contact of the worst kind with these terrorists yu may see that these people are thugs driven by self-interest and nothing more. Not some UN do-gooder who had limited peripheral exposure.

When someone can show me evidence of these pirates taking the money they are stealing from others and applying it for the good of the population of even their village, let alone their country, then I may start to reflect on their methods and maybe I'll even begin to understand why they are picking on folks who have a) nothing to do with the demise of their fishing industry and b) no way of influencing it either way.

Until then, if I were given to religion, I would be praying hard for a very nasty end to each and every one of them.

There is no justification for what they do and every justification for ridding the world of them. Attitudes such as yours that find ways to justify them will not help anyone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook