SailNet Community - View Single Post - Local Market Flush with Used Hunters and Catalinas...
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010

zboss is on a distinguished road
Local Market Flush with Used Hunters and Catalinas...

Hello,

In the Chesapeake Bay area we have a ton of 70's and 80's Hunter and Catalina boats available. Some which appear to be in better condition and other not so much (based solely on my viewing internet adds).

I am looking for a decent boat for my wife and I to enjoy in the 25-35 foot range... and while there are lots of other options besides Hunters and Catalina's, there are just so many to choose from.

I do not expect a palace, and this won't be the boat that my wife and I sail anywhere other than the Bay and maybe up and down the ICW. I intend on paying cash for a very inexpensive boat and sailing it for 2 maybe 3 years before trying to sell it and double up my new cash and get a better or larger boat. Maybe we will end up liking what we have. In any case, I refuse to get a mortgage, although we cannot afford to pay cash for our "eventual" boat - yet.

So, my question is this: is it unwise to buy a model (assuming it's in acceptable condition and the price is competitive) that has saturated the market, or does that work in your favor when trying to sell because of familiarity?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook