SailNet Community - View Single Post - Local Market Flush with Used Hunters and Catalinas...
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2010

4arch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Yea... I am certainly not looking at the boat as an "investment" except maybe an an investment in time but I wanted to make sure that the reason the area is so saturated is not because of an imbalance between supply and demand that would work against me when I went to sell in a few years.

Does the market for certain boat builders older models ebb and flow over the years? For example, Will we see a ton of C&C's available next year and no Hunters?
There have always been a lot of 70's and 80's vintage Hunters and Catalinas on the market at any given time in the Chesapeake region due to the large quantities of them made combined with their widespread popularity in the area.

On top of that, the state of the economy has lead to a lot of almost every kind of boat being on the market. It's just that when you have a boat like a Catalina 30 where there were several thousand of them made that means 10% of them being on the market would equate to several hundred boats (nationwide). On the other hand, with a boat where there were only a couple hundred or less made (which is not at all unusual), 10% would mean less than 20 on the market.

I wouldn't worry too much about oversaturation of the market. If you buy the best maintained boat you can get for the least amount of money and keep it that way, you should be able to sell it relatively easily if you price it reasonably. I emphasize reasonably because a lot of these boats that just sit on the market endlessly are way overpriced, either because their owners don't see the boat for the piece of junk it is or because the boat is well maintained and the owner just can't accept that they won't get out the money they've put in. Make peace with the fact that a 30 year old Catalina or Hunter even in bristol condition is worth 15-20k tops no matter how much you put in.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook