SailNet Community - View Single Post - Local Market Flush with Used Hunters and Catalinas...
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2010

zboss is on a distinguished road
All,

This is exactly what I was looking for.

Let's be clear - I don't look at the boat as being an "investment"... I am not sure where that came through in my previous e-mails. My wish is to buy a boat and maintain the boat enough to keep on top of things and provide a good time sailing. Then, at a later date sell the boat for a reasonable price and roll that cash up into a nicer/larger boat.

I fully expect maintenance to be an issue and I have been scoping out a lot of boats that are obviously way over priced junk. Again, - It doesn't make a lot of sense putting a lot of cash into a boat that doesn't have good bones.

However, my concern was that if I buy a hunter/catalina now in whatever condition, and maintain it within that condition or slightly improve it, that I would be at least able to recoup my purchase price. I would not expect the value of the boat to ever go up unless I completely restored it to like-new condition. That will NEVER happen - I simply don't have the desire to do so.

So, what I am hearing is that I should not discount Hunters and Catalinas just because there are a lot on the market.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook