SailNet Community - View Single Post - boom hardware questions
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2010
Coronado 23 MK2

thebee64 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the tips on riveting. I'll check out Sear's Saterday. Does that mean I'm drilling a 3/16 hole so the rivet fits snug? If I don't patch the holes from the cleat, would I at least put a small drain in the bottom? I know water isn't going to hurt Aluminum, but water siting anywhere can't be good, even if it's just adding weight over time.

Switching gears really quick, I do have a couple of questions about the tack hook and location. Seeing as how my gooseneck doesn't have a provision for a shackle (something must have broke or been replaced as I can't imagine a sailboat builder not putting something simple like a loop to secure the tack) it looks like the best option would be to install a tack hook as GeorgeB suggested. I just want to make sure I get this right as I'm going to tackle it this weekend. The hook would be installed Strb side and I would imagine the idea is to get the hook level with the top of the boom. If the hook isn't inline with the boom and mast, even if it's just offset by an inch or so is there going to be any problems. Should I be worried about Chafe in the boltrope entering the boom (as it would be coming in at a slightly off angle)? Would there any problem with the tack being pulled over in reguards to sail shape? I can't imagine it being too bad as my main isn't great to begin with! Also, would the tack be at a 45 degree angle in relation to the boom or would I just mount it straight up? Thanks for walking me through the simple stuff!

Last edited by thebee64; 03-05-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook