SailNet Community - View Single Post - Atomic Is No Bomb
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2006

sailnaway is on a distinguished road
Atomic Is No Bomb

I guess I am the only guy who loves this motor well me and Dom Moyer oh and Indigo Inc. This little gas motor is easy to maintain. It will take allot of abuse and keep you running. I have pushed my 22.000 LB boat for over 7000 KM in three years. I use it to power my inverter and watch movies because its quiet enough to do this. I do have to keep up with the points and all that because I am to cheep to buy the electronic ignition which is sold by Moyer and Indigo. My motor is fresh water cooled always was so it has a little longer life than some salt motors. For the gas worry I run the blower and sniff after a few seconds of running the blower if no raw gas smell then fire the puppy up. I also have the electric fuel pump and all the manuals which are as simple as the engine maybe 65 pages total. This motor was built from 1946-1979 with some being sold a little later. some where around 48.000 were built and many are still around. a rebuild will cost nearly $4000 from Moyer much less if you can do it yourself. All the parts are aftermarket and can be had easily. The company is now Universal and builds the small diesel which you can put in place of this ATOMIC if you want. I like this engine and do not plan to re power unless I loose a rod through the block or something. They all came with the Tranny attached which is also simple straight forward and a reduction in reverse. Never pass up a good boat because it has an Atomic you will be pleased at what you will learn from the ATOMIC 4 groups and die hard ATOMIC enthusiasts like me. Thanks to Don Moyer and Indigo for the fine products and service they offer. The ATOMIC is no BOMB.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook