SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bottom Painting advice and costs for Chesapeake Bay
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Where in Chesapeake Bay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterzoy View Post
Hello, I have a Catalina 30 with many years of old bottom paint. I would like to have her bottom painted this spring.

What is the best paint to use in the Chesapeake Bay?

I heard that the Chesapeake Bay has worse fouling problems (barnacles and plant growth than than Floridia!

What should I pay to have my boat hauled out of the water, the bottom cleaned and two coats of a bottom paint that will give me at least one season of barnacle-free bottom?

I do not need a racing bottom as we are not into racing.

Thank you - Walter "Parrot Bay" Catalina 30 Shoal draft
The head is fresh, the foot is salt.

Do you want hard paint (so you can scrub it) or soft paint (so you don't have to scrape the paint off in a few years)?

What type of paint do you have now?

Can't answer, not knowing, but it sounds like you want an ablative (soft) paint.

I like Interlux Micron and Interlux 66 (no freshwater). I have used both several times. They are $$$ but should get you 2 years, if you haul in the winter. 18 months if you stay in the water. Whether you need to strip the bottom, can't say. Unless the paint is loose, it is not required.

Yes, the Bay is tough that way.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by pdqaltair; 03-05-2010 at 06:56 PM. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook