SailNet Community - View Single Post - BVI Conch Charter
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2010

brigadoonboat is on a distinguished road
wow, I am surprised at the bad experiences some have had with Conch Charters! I quickly make some assumptions: Everyone needs to get on Island Time- quick.
Americans are not very easy customers to deal with categorically, and they are extremely demanding.( I am American) Many of the charters we have seen over the years are tourists with no real idea what a charter involves. some are not aware that they have to take care of their boat and its operation, deal with their own trash, that the head empties overboard, that its a "SAIL" boat, or even that there is six feet or more of it underneath.
Conch charters has older boats, that are exactly that. They are fairly well maintained, and do what is expected for their age. Things break on new boats too. A fridge will work until it stops working. actually I wonder if the one fellow with the nonfunctioning fridge remembered to turn on the TWO switches involved?
When we were done with our charter this January, we checked out four other boats at Conch's dock as possible charters for next year. Each one was ready for the next charter.. The cruising guide was open on the table, nicely, a bottle of rum was there too. Each boat had fresh linens, and was immaculately cleaned. (it was obvious we needed to take our shoes off) In contrast the returning boats one of which we checked out, had trash on board, sand on the deck, and beer cans still in the cup holders.
bottom line: If you expect familiar treatment and having to pay for it, go to the US charters in St Thomas. If you want a deal, go to the BVI, and if you want a deal there, go to Conch Charters. By the way, know why its cheaper in the BVI?
no lawyers there, you are responsible for yourself, your boat, and what you do with it.