SailNet Community - View Single Post - Single handing
Thread: Single handing
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2006

Pogo-2 is on a distinguished road
The ultimate object is Not to fall overboard, this said things never go as intended. There was an article written some where on the web that addressed all the issues of falling over. I do sail single handed and have taken what I thought to be some good precautions to ensure my survival. After reading this article I've made some changes in my plans. I wish I knew wher i saw the article so I could post it here? But here are some high lites. I sail with my stern ladder down in the water other wise you'll never get back aboard the boat, the drag isn't that bad. I use to have about 50' of line tied to a fender and tow that behind just in case I went over I could grab this and pull myself to the boat. In dead calm water and the boat not moving this would work, according to the article, the boat traveling at 2 kts it would be hard to hold onto the line let alone pull yourself to the boat, at 5 kts forget it you'd last about 15 seconds on the line that is if to could hang on. They do recomend putting hand and foot loops about every 3- 4 feet or so. This way you can support yourself with your feet and hands. Always where a PFD and tether your self where ever you go above decks, alow just enough line to do what you have to so incase you do go over your not hanging on thside and being draged along. make sure you have a strobe lite on the vest. Just a few ideas I'll look for the whole article and post it here.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook