SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wood, Diesel or propane bulkhead heating stove?
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2010
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamer92 View Post
Is anyone familiar with these? I have seen them on a couple Friendship Sloops (my "someday..." boat). Cropped this image from an ad.

I like how they look classic.. I'm wondering if they work well to take the edge off of a chill.

That stove is the "Pet". It's a great stove, by the same people that make the "Tiny Tot".
http://www.fatscostoves.com/images/S...s/PetFront.jpg
Fatsco Stoves

They're tiny, airtight (a must for wood stoves) and affordable. I've seen them up close and they're quite a nice stove. The only reason I don't have one already is that they don't have a window. They would DEFINATELY take the chill off your boat, and actually could heat it quite well. Wood heat is not lacking in it's ability to warm an area, quite the opposite actually as I spent my time looking for a fuel that didn't burn as hot. Duraflame 2hr firelogs were what I found worked best, with charcoal working nearly as well, but messier.

To illustrate the point I once decided to take my dickinson pacific stove and put wood in the part where diesel is supposed to go. Actually it worked like a charm except for the fact that it burned so hot that the heat proof paint on the exhaust stack (that had withstood years of usage as a diesel stove) began to bubble and blister.

As for the flower pot idea on the stove top or in the oven I've had it suggested by many a salt, but never actually tried it. If you do, remember that a 500deg flower pot looks EXACTLY like a cold one. Use mitts.

John, I suspected that my stove sucked, and that propane might have some redeeming features in other models. Still, while my BTU rating is tragically low and inadequate to heat half my boat, it still cooks through a 5gal bottle in 5 days or less. If I were to use the dickinson with twice the BTU wouldn't I be going through 3 (heavy) propane bottles a week? Also since my overpriced stove burner IS vented I don't get the rainforest effect, though that is it's only advantage over running the stove.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MedSailor; 03-07-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook