SailNet Community - View Single Post - WARNING!!!!!
Thread: WARNING!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2001

Speedy92152 is on a distinguished road
WARNING!!!!!

On a recent trip to the Dominican Republic I experienced things I thought needed to be told. I aarived at Lumperon Harbor on Sunday evening. On Monday, my wife and I went into town for some shopping. Upon our return, two Dominican Navy Officials were waiting by our dingy. They wanted MONEY. We were told we had to pay a 15% tax for items we had bought. Ofcourse this was ILLEGAL. I complained although my wife just wanted to pay them. When I refused, they followed us to our boat where they boarded me and began a SEARCH. I asked what they were lookin for? DRUGS was their responce. I was made to sit in the cockpit with my wife under point of a gun while they searched. They found no drugs ofcourse and departed. We then went below and found they had stolen $210. From my wifes purse. I made a formal complaint to the Navy Department but nothing was done. Later that evening, a Navy Patrol boat came by and we were told we had to leave immediatly. We did ofcourse minus the $210. I never thought this would happen. I guess I am naive. I wish SAILNET could do something about this as I have heard similar stories from other Cruisers. My meassage is this. when Cruising the Carribean, STAY AWAY form the Dominican Republic. Nothing but thieves there.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook